Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Empire Records

Remember that movie? Being 13 or so.... wanting Liv Tyler's outfit or Renee Zelwigger's brazen sexuality. Cool friends and a cool job. Aching for the boy--with the hair in his eyes and slouchy sweater--to fall in love with me.

Empire Records was how I dreamed of 17.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For me, it was the movie Reality Bites. I can still remember when Winona Ryder puts on the "doilie dress' and slurps from a Big Gulp while listening to Peter Frampton. I think that these movies are simliar, in a way. The women in the films come equipped with some sort of success factor : despite their shortcomings, they always succeed. And isn't that exactly what we wanted to believe at 15? I didn't want to be perfect, I wanted to embrace my differences (this was the mid-nineties after all) but I still wanted to get the guy in the slouchy sweater. I've been thinking a lot about this lately as My So-Called Life has been rereleased on ABC.com. Angela with her red hair, her Rayanne, her Jordon, Ricky with his eyeliner. Life, at 15, was for them and for me, about pretending that life was meaningless and perfecting that pout when all you mostly wanted to do was jump up and down. Oh yeah, and fucking jump the guy with the hair all in his face.

From, Meg.