whenever the day is beautiful and full and wide open, i find myself saying the first lines of this e.e. cummings poem:
_______________________________________________________________________
i thank You God for most this amazing
day: for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes
(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday; this is the birth
day o life and love and wings and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)
how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any-lifted from the no
of all nothing-human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?
(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)
_______________________________________________________________________
I have loved this poem for years. I remember hiking over a mountain in the rugged Three Sister's Mountains in Oregon with John Berger, probably in 2002, and for some reason quoting this poem to him. I remember the expanse of sky and the striking landscape, but mostly the accomplishment of being fantastically present. present in a real moment.
No comments:
Post a Comment