Monday, May 18, 2009

live and learn about brownies.

yesterday was a rainy sunday in massachusetts. it had the feel of  a mild february day more than a may weekend. 

so i decided it was the perfect time to start compiling a care package for my old college friend, Lt. John P. Ballantyne. Johnny B is flying helicopters in Iraq. I walked to the CVS on Hanover Street and purchased anything and everything I saw that he may want: razors, magazines, pringles, pretzels, chapstick, gum, candy, ping pong balls, cotton socks. The pinnacle of this care package, I determined, would be brownies  from scratch. And an intimate letter (still undrafted). 

What I discovered was that brownies from scratch are ONLY delicious if you make them with salted butter, not unsalted butter. I found this curious since unsalted butter is specifically used in baking. What a disappointment! 

Noah is eating my disappointment brownies in the meanwhile, until I can bake Johnny B. better ones. 

1 comment:

MR said...

What a drag, Dude.