clearly, we need diversions during this tedious time. one thing we have taken to doing is, when a question of substance arises, using a few minutes to research the answer. to clarify, "research" means to go to the google with our query.
previous searches include:
what's the big deal with the liberty bell? this followed my trip to philadelphia for new years. although our thought that the bell was carried into battle during the revolutionary war was not correct, there was something about the bell being carried on trains... i guess i forget. so what is the deal with the liberty bell?
another Q: are baby carrots really carrots growing into adult carrots, or are they big carrots cut down to size? The answer--that they are big carrots cut to size--was unexpected.
On thursday I want to find out if Henry VII, whom family folklore says is in my family tree, ever felt regret for having Anne Boylen executed on the chopping block.
I never got that story. Henry VIII spends years trying to divorce his wife of nearly 20 years to marry Anne, and then 3 years later cuts her head off for some fabricated reason (accusing her of incest with her brother and adultery). meanwhile he cuts from the catholic church to marry anne and starts his own church, even though he had formerly viciously prosecuted those that challenged catholicism.
Did he ever think he may have gotten it wrong? at night years later, when he was an old man, did he wonder....?
his love letters to anne, years before he signed her death order, are lovely.
1 comment:
KJB, I always love your writing. Also, I am very glad you call it THE Google. I am a fan of adding articles to well-known prop. nouns.
Post a Comment