Sunday, January 11, 2009

Movies and the 1980s

Noah and I were remembering our favorite movies from childhood. my list reveals the following:

I really do love robots. and magic,  it appears.  wild, unforeseen adventures are high on the list. not to mention the occasional musical. Often the dynamic is two boys and one beautiful tomboy. 

in no particular order:

1. "Flight of the Navigator" : Fred Savage. aliens and their space ships. i don't really remember the details except 1. we had the video tape, which the bergeron family recorded when it played on t.v. and 2. i considered it cutting edge. 

2. "The Wizard": again, starring the multi-faceted Fred Savage. Remember that one, about a crazy adventure to the ultimate video game competition in Cali? 

3. "Batteries Not Included" :  a sentimental science fiction movies starring Jessica Tandy. The Netflix description gets to the heart of it----> "After their apartment building is bought by an unscrupulous developer, Frank and Faye Riley face eviction. But the poor retirees and their neighbors receive unexpected help from an unexpected source--a clan of tiny robotic aliens who supply free electricity and harass the developers goons"

4. "The NeverEnding Story" : Sebation (lead character) gets locked in a library on a rainy night, or so I remember. It provided him respite from his dreary life, but then he picked up this book and his imagination takes hold..... 

[ps, this movie also terrified me. giant horse flying creature!  but then noah reminded me he died, and your heart broke. such a diversion of emotions.]

4. "Annie": I love love musicals. I loved this one so much that between ages 3--6 or so I apparantly watched it about twice a day with Emily Tocci. This is a true story reported by my Godmother over Christmas break, and eerily confirmed when Noah and I watched it on tv and not only did I know every musical influx of every song, but all the dialogue. And I have not seen the movie since middle school (if I were to guess). 

5. "Labyrinth" : David Bowie and Jennifer Connolly at the peak of their artistic careers. I am only half-kidding.

6. "The Princess Bride" :    ....... as....... you .... wish........ 
 although, buttercup was a bit of spoiled brat. even still, she did not deserve the weirdo humperdink. 

7.  "honey I shrunk the kids" : creepy meets AWESOME. that weird inventor dad shrunk his kids and then they had to battle insects [now giant to them in scale] in the back yard! but, it was a tremendous growing experience for all involved. and a sexy kiss at the end between the neighbor kids.

8. "Home Alone": The first PG movie my mom took me too. Dave and Kimmy got to come also, which sort of was unfair considering I was at least 9 a and they were 3 and 6, respectively. For me, the eldest, all the good shit was delayed. remember that scene when the bad guy got a hot iron on his face? oh, man.


9. "Newsies": another musical that won my full heart. my first exposure to christian bale, who replaced fred savage in my young heart. all those orphans, selling papes in the cold NYC. just trying to make a buck. just trying to be the king of new york. 


4 comments:

Eldad Gerb said...

To this day I can recite "The Wizard" by heart in its entirety , sad, but true..."california" (in my best puberty-voice-cracking voice)

Anonymous said...

Okay, I like the list but am horrified by your lack of details regarding the Neverending Story!! First off, Falkor was not a flying horse thing - he was a good luck dragon! And he helped Atreyu defeat The Nothing in the first movie, while Bastian Bux read the story in the school attic. And then went on to help Bastian and Atreyu defeat the evil sorceress, Xayide, in the second movie.

Sheesh. :)

Anonymous said...

http://totallylookslike.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/posh-spice.jpg

Posh Spice totally looks like Falkor.

Anonymous said...

Newsies & Labyrinth...'nuff said. Best movies ever! If you want to get in touch with your inner child, watch the "Little Princess" (the newer one-1995). Beautiful, imaginative, wonderful. If you want to revisit a crush on Christian Bale, then "Little Women". Fantastic. Jo was stupid.