Monday, July 2, 2007

Birthdays are good times to make some changes.

Today I turn 26. Actually, in exactly fifteen minutes will mark the moment I slipped finally into the world, a wet little mess. I have determined to be more celebratory this year, and more geared toward holistic health. these are some of my recent decisions:

I will eat more fruit. It is very good for a person, and tastes wonderful. Why don't I eat more fruit, I wondered? So I will.

I will do more things that scare me. For instance, taking a group exercise class like Yoga or Body Conditioning. I will get off my private, lonely treadmill! I will look foolish in front of strangers!

These are my two decisions I decided this morning while I sat on my parents porch drinking coffee and reading my new book by Anne Lamot. She also does good things for me, with her emphasis on Grace. and Forgiveness. I need to be a little kinder, so I will decide to cut other people some slack, and also myself.

It is now only nine minutes until 26 years have officially passed since I arrived! I am meeting some of my best friends in this world at the Four Seasons Hotel at Boston Common... We are having afternoon tea, with special little sandwiches and scones. and then we will probably go share a celebratory few martinis.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

AAAAAHHH! I forgot your birthday. I am sorry, happy birthday.

Jonathan Hiskes said...

K - I'm thrilled to have stumbled across this. Hope to read lots more here. I just read Annie Dillard's lovely, slow-burning new novel, The Maytrees, and it made me briefly wish I lived in your neck of the woods. Shalom!